Debris Removal Information from the County

In the wake of the recent storms, today Montgomery County provided the following information about removal of debris from fallen branches, trees, etc.

For Immediate Release: 2/3/2011
County Adds Helpful Post Storm Information for Residents on Homepage; Tree Debris Removal Procedures, Pothole Reporting Included
While County crews continue clean up operations in the wake of last week’s snow storm, many residents, too, are dealing with the aftermath of the storm itself and its accompanying power outages.In order to help guide residents to necessary services relating to cleanup, the County has added a Post Storm Information icon on its home page – – with links to helpful tips, procedures and phone numbers.

For example, two issues arising as a result of the storm are removal of tree debris and reporting potholes. The following information can also be found on the new site.

Downed trees and tree debris

Report downed trees on County property online at or by calling 311 (240-777-0311 from outside the County) or the Police non-emergency number at 301-279-8000.

The County does not prune or tend to private trees. If the private limb is blocking a roadway and posing a hazard, the County’s Department of Transportation crew will cut up the limb and leave it for the homeowner to discard. Trees that have fallen on private property are the responsibility of the property owner. The County’s Office of Consumer Protection advises homeowners to deal with established tree removal businesses only and to call Consumer Protection first to check on a business complaint record. Consumer Protection can be reached at 311 (240-777-0311 from outside the County).

The County’s Division of Solid Waste Services collects yard trim year-round. If the debris is from private property trees and meets curbside yard trim collection requirements, the resident may bundle the debris and put it at curbside on their regular recycling collection day.

If the private property branches are too large for curbside collection, or cannot be bagged, bundled, or containerized, they may be taken to the County’s Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station.

For details regarding the requirements for curbside collection of tree debris and more information about the Transfer Station, including hours, visit the new Post Storm Information site at

Trees that have fallen on utility lines should be reported to the local utility company:

• Allegheny Power 1-800-255-3443 (Allegheny)

• Baltimore Gas and Electric 1-800-685-0123

• PEPCO 1-877-737-2662

Reporting Potholes

County crews repair potholes on County maintained roadways (not numbered routes, or in municipalities such as City of Rockville or City of Gaithersburg). Residents may either call 311 or file a service request at

If the pothole is located on a numbered route (such as routes 355, 118, 124, etc), contact the State of Maryland at 301-948-2477 (downcounty residents) and 301-572-5166 (upcounty residents).

Information on the new Post Storm Information site will be adapted according to the time of year and particular issues associated with the seasons.

# # #

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *